If you are in the process of picking the perfect colour for your new home, first of all allow us to say congratulations! While buying a new home may be seen as the main event, finding the perfect shades to suit both interior and exterior is the next crucial step. We know what you’re thinking: the job can be costly, and you want to be confident you’re making the right decisions. Not to fear! Before the hues dancing in your head get sidetracked by thoughts of white coveralls and paint speckled drop cloths, consider these helpful tips.
Tips On Picking The Perfect Colour For Your House’s Exterior:
- When selecting your exterior colour scheme, think of it as a first impression. Remember, it will be the first thing that family and friends see!
- Even if you don’t realize it, you already have a head start! Before selecting what you consider to be the perfect colour for your home, consider the shade of elements you won’t be changing. Shades of elements such as shingling, driveway, tile work, or even cobblestone pathways can all provide a solid base on which to build your perfect palette!
- Look to the past! Another important consideration is architectural style. Before your inner free spirit decides that the perfect colour scheme for your Victorian-era house is hot pink with lime green trim, perhaps consider what the style itself calls for. This doesn’t need to be boring! It’s simply that the architecture itself might already suggests what suits it best! Bear in mind, we don’t make the rules!
- When it comes to paint chips, get a second opinion! While the paint chip is a pretty accurate representation of a hue, the overall outcome can vary quite a bit once applied. As we mentioned in our intro, you want to be confident you are making the right decision, so be sure to do your research! The job is far too integral to take a leap on the outcome!
- Put together the colour puzzle! Another important factor in picking the perfect colour for exterior of your house is actually picking more than one. Aside from the dominate field colour, which is your ‘main’ colour, consider accenting shades for doors and shutters, as well as a separate shade for things like trim, windows casings, or railings.
- Look to nature! Believe it or not, mother nature may have already presented you with some helpful suggestions! What dominates the environment surrounding your new home? Do you have a spacious green lot, dotted with leafy trees? Perhaps an earthier colour scheme may suit this sort of environment. Where does the sun fall on your home? Consider how light will make a potential colour choice pop!
You’re Halfway Home!
Tips On Picking The Perfect Colour For You House’s Interior:
- Mood indigo! Ok, maybe we’ll leave Sinatra out of the equation! No less, what you choose in terms of the perfect interior colour definitely affects the mood of a space. As you’ve probably already guessed, softer colours deliver a more relaxed effect, while darker and prominent colours set a more dramatic tone.
- Think inside the box! Ever wonder why your local paint stores have those light boxes? Well, they are there for the benefit of seeing what your perfect paint choice will look like under various sources of light. For example, if your kitchen has a lot of windows, consider that natural daylight will show the truest colour. On the other hand, if you’re dealing with a lot of fluorescent lighting, consider the fact that this source brings out a sharper blue tone. This will vary from room to room, so be careful to out you choices to the true test!
Interior Paint Color Combinations Images
- Go with the flow! Consider how two rooms with different shades interact with one another. Of course one room can look perfectly fine on its own, but what happens when you walk into the next one? Does your colour choice of the next room create a wildly jarring effect? When picking your interior colours, try to evoke a sense of harmony!
- Start small! One important factor to remember is that if you’re almost one hundred percent sure about a colour, but still remain slightly on the fence, test a smaller area! A coat on a short hallway or a single bathroom wall will give you the definitive answer you’re looking for. Plus, if it turns out the colour isn’t working, it’s a way easier fix than repainting an entire living room!
Last But Not Least: Congrats On Choosing The Perfect Colours!
Lastly, congrats on your new colour choices! Like you, we certainly understand how these tasks can seem daunting when thought of all at once. However, as we’ve shown, it doesn’t have to be such a headache! We hope that these tips for picking the perfect colour choice for your new house have made the process not only easier, but fun!